annual (unripe) green fig preserving

Last year, after I had just moved into my new home, I found that I owned a Black Jack fig tree. With a lot of figs that will never ripen in New England climate. To my surprise, it survived one of the worse winters ever (I wrapped it in burlap), to produce even more fruit than last year. I think it likes me.

Four times as much fruit, to be precise.
So I tackled boiling the figs, three times for fifteen minutes each...

Then simmered them in sugary water (2.5 cups of sugar to 5 cups of water) until syrupy, and canned them!

After about a week, the figs become more flavorful, you can eat them whole on top of yogurt or vanilla ice cream. I blended them to use as a spread.

Delicious on top of pumpkin seed bread from Seven Stars. Served on a gleena plate, of course. Yum! For a more formal recipe follow this link to NY Times.